This serum is jam packed with potent anti aging actives, antioxidants, in a skin loving base of seamollient and Borage oil. It was created by DragoN from www.skincaretalk.com forum (she is an incredible wealth of skin care science knowledge), and a favourite amongst DIYers on that forum.
Idebenone: the powerful antioxidant found in the Prevage line of products.
Niacinamide and Glucosamine: Anti inflammatory, anti-acne, anti aging, boosts the skin’s own hydration levels from the inside out. More detail on these actives see my previous DIY Niacinamide Glucosamine and Green Tea Serum post
Borage Seed Oil: one of my fav oils at the moment, highest GLA content out of any plant oils. For more details, see my Argan and Borage Oils post.
Hyaluronic acid: humectant -draws moisture from the environment to your skin.
Vitamin E: antioxidant, extends shelf life of oils in a product.
note: the actives in this recipe are used at their maximum recommended concentrations to ensure maximum potency
(You need a decent scale that is accurate to 0.01g)
1. Measure out 0.15 g of Idebenone (put the container on the scale first and then ‘tare’, or zero it first)
keep reading after the jump!
2. Add 0.15g of non-denatured ethanol to dissolve the Idebenone powder (zero the scale again with the container + Idebenone on it, then add the ethanol straight in). Set aside.
3. In a separate shot glass, measure out 6g of distilled water, then add the Niacinamide and Glucosamine straight in. Stir until dissolved.
4. In another shot glass, measure out 9g of Seamollient and 2.4g of Hyaluronic acid serum (premade to 1%- I will show you how to DIY this in the next tutorial).
5. Add the ingredients in step 3 and 4 together, and mix well. You end up with a shotglass with Seamollient, Hyaluronic acid, Niacinamide, Glucosamine, and water. Gel consistency.
6. Measure out the Borage oil and add polysorbate 80 + vitamin E into it.
7. Mix the Idebenone/ethanol mixture into the Borage oil mixture.
You end up with this silky, creamy, LUXURIOUS serum with incredibly anti aging and antioxidant properties. I use it once a day after a shower, it absorbs straight into my skin without any greasiness.
When first starting on Idebenone, it is recommended that you ease your skin into it- start every 2nd day (like you would with retinol) and then after about 10 days, depending on your skin, you can switch up to daily use.
In summer I will probably make a lighter version by decreasing the oils and increasing the hyaluronic acid 1% stock serum by the same amount.
note: You can purchase a premade 1% Hyaluronic acid serum at www.lotioncrafters.com, but it is really expensive. Like most DIYers, I prefer making my own stock 1% Hyaluronic acid serum by buying pure Hyaluronic acid powder and making a decent sized batch every month. Stay tuned for the tutorial on how to do it later on this week!Posted by myfunnyvalentine on May 31st, 2011 in DIY Skin Care | 39312commentsDIY+Idebenone%2C+Niacinamide+%28B3%29%2C+Glucosamine+anti+aging+serum+%28DragoN%27s+recipe%292011-05-31+08%3A02%3A16myfunnyvalentinehttp%3A%2F%2Fmyfunnyvalentineblog.com%2F%3Fp%3D393
Optometrist/beauty blogger/crazy cat lady. It's Jenny, NOT Jennifer. email@example.com