Just a quickie tutorial on how I make my 1% Hyaluronic Acid stock serum that I keep mentioning in my DIY posts.
Hyaluronic acid is a humectant which draws water to your skin from the atmosphere, and is a component of many moisturising face products. Hado Labo is an Asian skin care line that puts a huge emphasis on Hyaluronic Acid.
Most experts recommend a maximum of 1% – above that the Hyaluronic Acid can start to draw moisture away from the deeper levels of your skin (especially if you’re in a low humidity situation, e.g. air conditioning, flights, arid climates etc) which is clearly the opposite of what we want.
I use it in many of my concoctions for it’s moisturising properties, as well as to give ‘body’ and thickness to my serums.
Hyaluronic acid solution is a PAIN in the bum to dissolve- so rather than mixing a small amount every time I want to make a serum, I just make a stock 1% serum each month and keep it in the fridge ready to use.
0.6g pure Hyaluronic Acid powder ( from www.bulkactives.com )
60mL distilled water
a few drops of Optiphen (preservative)
note: if you want to get fancy, you can use hydrosols, aloe vera juice, and other skin loving goodies instead of distilled water. I like to have a plain stock serum and add goodies later.
1. Weigh out Hyaluronic Acid powder.
2. Pour 60mL of distilled water into a plastic bottle.
3. Add the Hyaluronic Acid to the distilled water, close the cap..
4. SHAKE THE CRAP OUT OF IT. You will get globs and bits and undissolved powder even after shaking- this is normal.
5. Leave it in fridge. You can take it out every 5 minutes to give it another shake if you want this to dissolve as quickly as possible (20mins), but it will generally fully dissolve into a homogenous gel within about 1-2 hrs anyway.
This stock Hyaluronic Acid Serum recipe and method is taken from what the experts (ie Glitterbug) at www.skincaretalk.com forum do. I don’t understand why the recipe works better when the solution is cold, it just does.
Hope someone found this useful!Posted by myfunnyvalentine on Jun 5th, 2011 in DIY Skin Care | 48534commentsDIY+Hyaluronic+Acid+stock+serum+tutorial+2011-06-05+09%3A55%3A22myfunnyvalentinehttp%3A%2F%2Fmyfunnyvalentineblog.com%2F%3Fp%3D485
Optometrist/beauty blogger/crazy cat lady. It's Jenny, not Jennifer. You can also find me on www.straightnochaserblog.com firstname.lastname@example.org