When it comes to hair, I’m a hopeless noob. When I want to do anything outside of my very restricted comfort zone, I feel like 18yr old me trying to tackle liquid eyeliners for the first time.
I am slowly trying to learn a thing or two though, and fashion week styles are always a good place for inspiration.
One things I’ve realised recently is how important pre-styling products are to get to the style you want. For example, a little bit of volume enhancer like Aveda Pure Abundance Style-Prep before blow drying is magic for adding body, especially in addition to any other root lifting products you normally use during the styling process.
I’ve drafted upcoming posts on how the products work on specific styles on my own hair, so watch this space.
1) Create a straight, clean center part.
2) Spray a cocktail of Aveda Pure Abundance Style Prep and Aveda Volumizing Tonic from root to mid-length, coating the hair.
3) Blowdry straight, from roots to ends, using a round brush. Use a flat iron to smooth out kinks or waves, if necessary. Hair should be flat to the head.
4) Tuck hair behind ears and part in the back, bringing hair forward over each shoulder.
5) Finish with Aveda Air Control Hair Spray to smooth flyaways.
Keep reading after the jump!myfunnyvalentine on Sep 27th, 2012 in Hair, Runway | 52111 commentAveda+at+NYFW%3A+How+to+achieve+hairstyles+from+Tibi+and+Behnaz+Sarafpour2012-09-27+02%3A06%3A20myfunnyvalentinehttp%3A%2F%2Fmyfunnyvalentineblog.com%2F%3Fp%3D5211
It seems that every time I blog about a ‘nude’ a product I feel e need to make the post title more and more cheeky. Indulge me if you can.
So this September, it was decided at BanditHQ (aka twitter) that we were going to bring you posts of our favorite nudes. If you haven’t previously read one of our Lipstick Bandit posts, you are in for a treat as the Bandit group of beauty bloggers around the world simultaneously post on the subject du jour. We each have different personal styles and skin tones so you will get a unique perspective from each blog.
The nude lipstick featured here with a smokey eye is NARS Tzigane (swatched here as part of my NARS lipstick collection). Tzigane is one of my all time favourite nude shades and something that I feel goes perfectly with almost any look. It’s not a super pale nude- more of a MLBB peachy toned nude which I feel suits my skin tone best (pale nudes like MAC Myth lipstick makes me look like the walking dead).
NARS Tzigane is moderately pigmented with a subtle glossy finish and wears comfortably on the lips. Love love love it.
- Two faced shadow insurance to prime lids
- Rouge Bunny Rouge Bejewelled Skylark eyeshadow (swatched and reviewed here) blended on mobile lid to crease, and extended out a little towards the temples.
- Rouge Bunny Rouge Bejewelled Skylark eyeshadow smudged under bottom lashline.
- MAC Omega eyeshadow to blend any harsh edges around the RBR eyeshadow
- Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick in Bronze applied to the inner corners of eyes and tear duct area as a highlight. I used the pinkish shades for the beautiful pink quartz coloured shimmer which goes so well with Tzigane and the burgundy tones in the RBR eyeshadow.
- MAC Blacktrack Fluidline to line upper and bottom lashlines and waterline.
- Majorca Majolica Lash Expander Plus fiber mascara.
- MAC Golden Bronzer to contour
- MAC Blushbaby powder blush on apples (swatched here forever and a day ago)
Keep reading after the jump!
myfunnyvalentine on Sep 24th, 2012 in Bobbi Brown, FOTD, Lipstick, Lipstick Bandits, NARS | 51740 comments. Smoking+in+the+nude%3A+A+Lipstick+Bandits+post2012-09-24+12%3A59%3A23myfunnyvalentinehttp%3A%2F%2Fmyfunnyvalentineblog.com%2F%3Fp%3D5174
Tags: Lipstick Bandits
Pencil eyeliners have mostly been bad news on my oily lids. I’ve tried a number of high end and drug store pencil eyeliners and they either smudge/transfer or tug horribly on my eye lids- so when I was sent the Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips eyeliner set as part of the new collection launched by Physicians Formula in Australia, I didn’t get very excited at all.
It was only after I tried the electric blue shade, then the purple, followed by all the other shades, when I realised I was onto a good thing. The pigmentation, smoothness, and staying power blew me away.
These are pencils that stay vivid and fresh after 1hr of sweaty cardio at the gym.
Physicians formula says…
The perfect set of three eyeliners to enhance your eye color and provide glamorous definition! Long-wearing, water-resistant and smudge-resistant formula for 24-Hour wear.
Hypoallergenic. Fragrance free. Paraben free. Dermatologist approved. Safe for sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers.
Availability: Priceline stores (AUS)
The Brown Eyes trio consists of :
- a grape coloured eyeliner with a subtle violet sheen.
- A chocolate brown with a subtle bronze sheen.
- A black with a just perceptible violet shimmer. On the eyes it just looks black.
The Blue Eyes trio consists of:
- A black with just perceptible dark blue shimmer. On the eyes it just looks black.
- A dark neutral gold metallic.
- Intense electric blue metallic.
I found that the pencils did require going over a couple of times on the lid to achieve full opacity- but once you apply those two layers, the colour is intense and will not budge or fade for anything. It really is very waterproof.
I don’t necessarily agree with the colours Physicians Formula chose for specific eye colours (for example, blue eyeliner on blue eyes looks horribly tacky to me, but can look spectacular with brown eyes). I think that you should buy the sets based on the colours that work for you rather than adhering to the recommendations on the box.
note: these products were sent to me by PR for consideration.Posted by myfunnyvalentine on Sep 24th, 2012 in Reviews, Swatches | 51990 comments. Drugstore+heroes%3A+Physicians+formula+Shimmer+Strips+Custom+Eyeliner+Trio2012-09-24+03%3A26%3A13myfunnyvalentinehttp%3A%2F%2Fmyfunnyvalentineblog.com%2F%3Fp%3D5199
Since going red, I’ve noticed that some of the lipstick shades that I routinely wore suddenly looked less flattering on me. When I went a more vivid shade of red a couple of months ago this problem became more obvious.
For example, most berry and burgundy lipstick shades looks odd on me now- with the red hair, these lipstick colours give me a distinctly late 80s/early 90s look that reminds me of my primary school teachers. Not necessary a bad thing, but not really a look I like on me. My choices in nudes, pinks, and reds have also changed.
I thought it might be useful for those with red hair and prospective redheads to list a few lippies that do seem to look right on me. This is in no way an exhaustive list, just the ones that I’ve been liking recently.
Here is my review done back in mid 2011
I reviewed this a long time ago- one of my very first lipstick reviews when My Funny Valentine was in it’s infancy- you can see it here as long as you promise not to pass judgement on my earlier efforts.
Keep reading after the jump!
myfunnyvalentine on Sep 18th, 2012 in Ellis Faas, Hair, Illamasqua, Lipstick, MAC | 50810 comments. My+top+4+lippies+for+redheads+2012-09-18+06%3A29%3A01myfunnyvalentinehttp%3A%2F%2Fmyfunnyvalentineblog.com%2F%3Fp%3D5081
Jessica Rabbit is one of my favourite cartoon characters of all time, and arguably one of the sexiest cartoon females ever drawn. She’s such a fun character, and an awesome halloween or dress up idea.
A long time ago I attempted a Jessica Rabbit FOTD on this blog (I’m not going to link it because I’m a little embarrassed by my early FOTDs). Now that my hair is actually red I thought it would be fun to try my hand at another Jessica Rabbit look.
- Two Faced Shadow Insurance to prime
- Urban Decay ‘Sin’ eyeshadow from the UD Naked Palette applied on lower part of mobile lid and on the inner corner to highlight. (Urban Decay Naked Palette swatched here)
- Smashbox ‘Ink’ eyeshadow on mobile lid on top of ‘Sin’
- Smashbox ‘Cabernet’ eyeshadow on outer V and blended into and past the crease.
- Smashbox ‘Cabernet’ eyeshadow smudged into outer 1/3rd of bottom lashline.
- MAC Mystery eyeshadow to darken outer V. (swatched here)
- MAC Omega eyeshadow to blend edges around top of crease. (swatched here)
Keep reading after the jump!Posted by myfunnyvalentine on Sep 3rd, 2012 in Chanel, FOTD, Uncategorized | 51440 comments. I%27m+not+bad%2C+I%27m+just+drawn+that+way%3A+A+Jessica+Rabbit+FOTD2012-09-03+03%3A23%3A05myfunnyvalentinehttp%3A%2F%2Fmyfunnyvalentineblog.com%2F%3Fp%3D5144