I drafted this post a few weeks ago when I had a rare few hours free to play with some of my new Aveda hair products. I was going for a pony tail with a messy quiff, and with some tips taken from Aveda backstage at NYFW (See my NYFW backstage hairstyle coverage here), I’ve somehow managed to make it work!
There have been many failed quiff attempts in the past, and I think what I’ve been doing wrong all along is not teasing the hair at the crown (I used to just shape it and pin), and using products that weighed the hair down too much and gave a greasy look. I’ve found that a combination of the Aveda Volumising Tonic, the Pure Abundance Potion, and the Pure Abundance Hair Spray gives me the big volume and matte texture that I want for this look.
1. Mist the ‘Aveda Volumising Tonic’ all over hair and scrunch with hands to give it texture and fullness.
2. Section the area of hair at the crown that you want to be your ‘quiff’ and clip it out of the way
3. The remaining hair on the sides and nape secure into a tight ponytail- you can make it a high pony tail or a low one. I did a low ponytail.
4. Tease hair at the top of head with a teasing comb. (leaving strands closest to forehead unteased)
5. Shape your quiff, using some of the unteased hair to create a smooth top, and secure with bobby pins. If necessary, use another elastic band to add this section to the bottom ponytail.
6. Tease out a few strands here and there on the side of the head to create a laid back texturised messy look.
7. Mist the Aveda Pure Abundance Volumising Hairspray over hair to lock style into place.
I hope that all made sense- I’m very new to hair tutorials. Holler at me if you have any questions!
note: Aveda products were provided to me by PR for consideration.Posted by myfunnyvalentine on Oct 26th, 2012 in Hair | 53480 comments. Hurrr+post%3A+how+to+style+a+messy+quiff+ponytail2012-10-26+03%3A39%3A20myfunnyvalentinehttp%3A%2F%2Fmyfunnyvalentineblog.com%2F%3Fp%3D5348
Optometrist/beauty blogger/crazy cat lady. It's Jenny, not Jennifer. You can also find me on www.straightnochaserblog.com email@example.com