A couple of weeks ago I got an email from a reader with a makeup look request- the reader, Anna, wanted me to recreate the look on the model in the image with a few tweaks to suit her complexion.
I love these requests because they get me out of my makeup comfort zone and my blogging comfort zone. What a fun look you’ve chosen Anna-great pick! It was good timing too, because I think this look would work well with a fascinator and a glass of bubbly at the Melbourne Cup Spring Racing Carnival next Tuesday.
I have pale olive skin, black hair and green eyes. I want the green to really ‘pop’.)
( I especially really like how vivid and colorful the eye makeup is, but that it still manages to look ‘soft‘, pretty and blended in (no hard lines or edges).
And lastly, for the lips, my lips are naturally a darker rose or cranberry color. So I would prefer something a slightly darker (instead of the pinkish color the model has), while still maintaining a pretty ‘flushed’ look.
I love dramatic makeup (in general), but I prefer to use as little black as possible. I like to get creative & use lots of color without looking too ‘circus-y’! ( Vibrant but soft at the same time. ) If / when you have time and think you might be able to do a step-by-step, I would be immensely grateful.
Thank you for listening & keep up the lovely work!
As you can tell, the image of the requested look has been edited with photoshop to achieve the high contrast, surreal, effect. I played around the FOTD shot above with photoshop to approximate the high contrast effect so that it gives you a rough idea of how the makeup that I’ve done changes with editing.
To be honest, I don’t think it turned out like the requested look- I’m missing some serious bottom lash action and bleached brows, but I quite like this fuschia smokey eye.
Keep reading after the jump!
1. Apply NARS Sheer Glow Foundation with fingers onto clean, moisturised skin.
1. Apply Two Faced Shadow Insurance to lids to prime.
2. Blend Benefit ‘Fawn Over Me’ eyeshadow on mobile lid with a flat brush, concentrating the shadow on the lid closest to lashline.
3. Apply Smashbox single eyeshadow in Cabernet (dark grape/burgundy colour) in crease with a tapered brush or a pencil brush and extended outwards a little in a cats eye shape. Cabernet is also blended downwards from bottom lashline. Be careful not to overblend this shadow in the crease, you want some definition to the crease work here.
4. Gently blend Inglot matte 382 (hot pink) around the edges of Cabernet, to achieve the neon pink ‘halo’ effect.
5. Gently apply MAC Omega eyeshadow on the outside of the eye makeup shape to blend out harsh edges. Use a pencil brush or a small dense blending brush. Again, do not over-blend here.
6. Use Bobbi Brown Gel Eyeliner in Black Ink’ to line upper lower lashlines and waterline.
optional: Falsies- I used the Katy Perry ‘Sweetie Pie’ lashes from Eylure.
I used my MUFE Waterproof HD Eyebrow Corrector to fill in my brows.
- Sweep Illamasqua Naked Rose blush (swatched and reviewed here as part of the Naked Strangers collection) on apples of cheeks.
Rouge Bunny Rouge Murmurings lipstick
Posted by myfunnyvalentine on Nov 1st, 2012 in Eye shadow, FOTD, Illamasqua, Inglot | 54840 comments. Spring+Racing+Carnival+appropriate+fuschia+smokey+eye+FOTD2012-11-01+04%3A51%3A46myfunnyvalentinehttp%3A%2F%2Fmyfunnyvalentineblog.com%2F%3Fp%3D5484
Tags: Smoky Eye