I did a quick day time smoky eye last Sunday before heading off for (yet another) round of apartment hunting. I’ve been loving the combination of a warm matte crease with a cool lid colour lately- I think it’s very autumn appropriate and a nice change from my usual dove grey crease.
- Two Faced Shadow Insurance to prime
- MAC Uninterrupted Pro Longwear eyeshadow blended all over the lid and just past the crease.
- Inglot Matte dark brown (top left corner of my Inglot freedom palette) applied to the mobile lid
- Urban Decay Hustle eyeshadow from the Naked Palette (third from the right) blended on top of the Inglot. I also blended Hustle under the bottom lashline.
- Bobbi Brown Gel Eyeliner in Black Ink to line upper lashline and bottom waterline.
- L’Oreal Color Riche Le Khol in Immaculate Snow applied to the inner corners of the eyes and blended with a pencil brush
- Bobbi Brown Shimmer Eyeshadow in Champagne applied on top
- MAC Fleur Power blush on apples of the cheeks
- L’Oreal Glam Bronze in La Terra to contour
Posted by myfunnyvalentine on May 20th, 2013 in Eye shadow, FOTD | 73480 comments. FOTD%3A+Purple+Smoky+Eye+Caramel+Crease+Feat.+Urban+Decay+Naked+Palette+and+MAC+Uninterrupted+2013-05-20+03%3A36%3A36myfunnyvalentinehttp%3A%2F%2Fmyfunnyvalentineblog.com%2F%3Fp%3D7348
I love the way that blues and greens look with brown eyes, and it’s really been too long since I used these (too easy just to reach for a taupe or a brown when you don’t want to think too much!).
There’s something about this particular colour palette (khaki green, inky blue, and gold) that I tend to gravitate towards- I think it’s because these colours bring to mind the romanticism of explorers and exotic spice routes. Now that we’re getting into the Autumn and (god forbid), Winter months, I will definitely be getting my teeth into these colours.
MAC Gold pigment is the best ‘true gold’ (no sparkles, no duochrome, no pink or bronze tones) eye shadow product I have seen to date- it is intensely pigmented, finely milled, and just like molten gold. You really need the tiniest amount on a pencil brush for this highlight, and the small sample pot I got from The Body Needs has lasted me years.
- MAC Humid eyeshadow packed on to the upper mobile lid
- MAC Cork eyeshadow blended in the crease
- MAC Typographic eyeshadow (matte dark grey, not pictured here) to darken outer V
- MAC Prussian eyeshadow blended under bottom lashline
- MAC Gold pigment applied (dry) to the inner corner of the eyes with a pencil brush. Mine is a sample size from The Body Needs.
- Bobbi Brown Gel Liner in Ink to line upper lashline and bottom waterline.
Keep reading after the jump!myfunnyvalentine on May 12th, 2013 in Eye shadow, FOTD, MAC | 74240 comments. FOTD%3A+Khaki+Green+and+Blue+Smoky+Eyes+with+A+Pop+of+MAC+Gold+Pigment2013-05-12+10%3A43%3A36myfunnyvalentinehttp%3A%2F%2Fmyfunnyvalentineblog.com%2F%3Fp%3D7424
The look that Rae Morris created for Frankie Magazine sponsored runway 07 (Karen Walker, Kuwaii, Limedrop, Gormon, and more) combined an intense powdery white exaggerated inner corner eye look with a bright fuschia lip.
I thought it would be a fun look to try for a FOTD.
I tried staying true to the original products that Rae Morris used as much as possible, so that you get an idea of how the ‘runway’ colours look under natural day lighting. I find that the colours look VERY different to the runway/backstage images- especially the lip colour, which looks far pinker in real life than it does on the runway photos.
Some of the products that I felt didn’t work well on me I omitted (the L’Oreal Nude Magique BB cream makes me look like I have jaundice).
In retrospect, I think I should have done a much bolder brow to go with the soft, undefined quality of the eye makeup- just like what Rae Morris did on her 07 runway models. Without a bold brow look to frame the eyes with these type of looks, things just seem a little bit out of balance.
- NARS Sheer Glow in Fiji
- MAC Studiosculpt concealor
- L’Oreal Colour Riche Le Kohl in Immaculate Snow drawn on the ‘inner V’ – inner 1/2 top lashline, inner 1/3rd bottom lashline, connected at the inner corner. I blended this with a small pencil brush after applying straight from the pencil.
- L’Oreal Glam Bronze ‘La Terra’ blended in the crease
- MAC Omega eyeshadow to blend edges above crease
- Physician’s Formula shimmer strips eyeliner in black from Brown Eyes Set to line upper lashline
- L’Oreal Color Riche Le Sourcil Eyebrow Pencil in Deep Brown
- L’Oreal Nude Magique BB Blush on apples.
- L’Oreal Glam Bronze La Terra to contour cheekbones
If you want to see Rae Morris in action, here she is demonstrating the makeup application for this look on a model.Posted by myfunnyvalentine on May 7th, 2013 in Drugstore, FOTD, Runway | 73350 comments. LMFF+Runway+07+Inspired+Makeup%3A+Scarlet+Love2013-05-07+01%3A35%3A45myfunnyvalentinehttp%3A%2F%2Fmyfunnyvalentineblog.com%2F%3Fp%3D7335
As you may know, I’m crazy about deep vampy lips- give me a nice burgundy lip with a glossy finish an I’m all yours for the taking.
The thing I really love about Brun Glace (which is shade #2, reviewed previously in this post ) is that it’s a deep vampy lip product with a long lasting shine and colour that wears evenly on the lips- these qualities are harder to find than you might think in a dark lip product. I also love how you can use lip liners under this Glossy Stain to achieve anything from a glossy mahogany brown lip, to a deep merlot, to a rusty red. Of course, you can do the same with any lipliner/lipgloss combo- but the shine never lasts as long on me with other lipglosses. Also, I find that when I wear darker colours with a glossy finish, I get a really obvious migration of the lip colour from the centre of the lips to the edges, which just means frequent touch ups to avoid the ‘dark lip liner’ look.
Anyway, look! I did a FOTD.
- TFSI to prime
- Laura Mercier Bamboo eyeshadow applied all over the lid to the crease
- MAC Reflects Gold glitter pressed onto the lid, on top of Bamboo with a flat brush
- MAC Mystery and Typographic eyeshadows to darken outer V
- MAC Mystery eyeshadow blended below bottom lashline
- MAC Omega eyeshadow to blend any harsh edges around eyeshadow.
- Bobbi Brown Gel Liner in ‘Black’ to line waterline and top lashline
- Bobbi Brown Shimmer eyeshadow in Champagne to highlight inner corners of the eyes
- MAC Bronzing powder in Bronze to contour
- Illamasqua Ambition (from Ambition/Katie blush duo) blush on apples
- MAC Lipliner in Burgundy
- YSL Glossy Stain in #2 Brun Glace on top
Keep reading after the jump!
myfunnyvalentine on Apr 28th, 2013 in Eye shadow, FOTD, Lip Gloss, Swatches, YSL | 71790 comments. Sparkly+taupe+eye+with+glossy+vino+lips+featuring+Brun+Glac%C3%A9+Glossy+Stain2013-04-28+02%3A05%3A37myfunnyvalentinehttp%3A%2F%2Fmyfunnyvalentineblog.com%2F%3Fp%3D7179
For today’s installment of Lipstick Bandits goodness- we bring you coral lips from our bandit bloggers around the world. As I was planning the post, I realised that I hardly touched any of my coral lippies throughout the Spring and Summer just gone, so it was a nice change bringing my MAC See Sheer out for a night on the town.
MAC See Sheer is a lustre finish lipstick. It is a peachy coral colour with medium to full pigmentation and a subtle glossy sheen- as with most MAC lustre finish lippies, See Sheer has a comfortable balmy feel on the lips and is non drying.
For a second I thought about making a pun in the title involving ‘Golden Eyes’ and ‘See Sheer’. I couldn’t think of anything that wasn’t totally lame so I will have to find another blog title to pun. One day!
You may have noticed that the lighting looks different in these images. I’m experimenting with artificial lighting to extend my useful blog photography hours to past daylight- the days are getting shorter and shorter here in Australia and most days it is dark when I get up in the morning, and getting dark by the time I get home from work. These pictures were taken in my tiny bathroom with some hand held reflectors to help with the shadows. I’m struggling to get the level of clarity that I get with daylight even with manual focus on the DSLR but I suppose it’s better than not taking the pictures at all.
Keep reading after the jump!Posted by myfunnyvalentine on Apr 15th, 2013 in FOTD, Illamasqua, Inglot, Lipstick, Lipstick Bandits, MAC | 70380 comments. Golden+Eyes+and+Coral+Lips%3A+A+Lipstick+Bandits+FOTD+2013-04-15+13%3A58%3A23myfunnyvalentinehttp%3A%2F%2Fmyfunnyvalentineblog.com%2F%3Fp%3D7038