As the summer weather continues to heat up, the Blitz Box from the Hairhouse Warehouse contains a number of products to help keep your hair protected while you enjoy the great outdoors.
Hairhouse Warehouse has very generously donated 5 Blitz Boxes to 5 lucky My Funny Valentine readers.
The ‘must have for summer’ Blitz Box contains:
How to enter:
1. For two entries, ‘Like’ My Funny Valentine on Facebook: Find us here http://www.facebook.com/Mfunnyvalentine and leave a comment below with your email (so I can contact the 5 lucky winners) AND facebook name. If you prefer, you can email those details to me instead firstname.lastname@example.org
2. For one extra entry and tweet about this giveaway (using the tweet button at the end of this post), and tag me @Jfunnyvalentine.
3. For a whopping 4 extra entries put a link to the giveaway on your sidebar or blog post (please include the link to this in your comment below you can add this in another comment later if you wish)
The competition is open to Australian residents only and will run until midnight 10th of January 2012 Sydney time. I will draw the winner using a random number generator and email the winner by the 11th of January.Posted by myfunnyvalentine on Dec 26th, 2011 in Miscellaneous | 35021 commentMFV+Hairhouse+Warehouse+Blitz+Box+GIVEAWAY-+5+boxes+up+for+grabs%212011-12-26+00%3A01%3A55myfunnyvalentinehttp%3A%2F%2Fmyfunnyvalentineblog.com%2F%3Fp%3D3502
It’s been one week since I decided that things were going to change around here. Why? Because over the past year I had allowed myself to fall into the slippery slope of eating way too much of the wrong kinds of food, too much alcohol, and too little exercise (well ok- no exercise). When my mother asked me if I was preggers, I knew that it had gone too far (read about our little conversation here)
I’m happy to report that over the last week I’ve done surprisingly well. I had planned to ‘ease myself’ into healthy eating and exercise and expected to feel hungry and miserable but instead I feel great! I have so much energy and my stomach is grumbling less than when I was eating junk all the time.
– For breakfast I’ve switched my usual pie/sausage roll for a bowl of cooked oats with milk and honey. I haven’t had oats since I was living with my parents, so I was amazed at how much sustained energy it gives. Normally after my greasy breakfast I will get hunger pangs around mid morning, but after having oats I’m good right up to lunch time.
– I’ve cut right back on eating out, which has been great for my wallet (yay, more lipstick!). This past week I’ve been making a lot of stir fries with a variety of different vegetables and lean meats, and a side of brown rice (which is low GI and much more nutritious than white rice). I make a double serving so that I can have leftovers for lunch the next day.
– I’m being much more careful with portion control and I’m savouring my food (rather than shovelling it in whilst watching TV). Even though my serving sizes are about half of what they were, I’m actually feeling less hungry.
– I haven’t been perfect the entire week- on Sunday I attended a BBQ with some friends and had sausages, white bread, potato salads.
– I’ve cut down on my alcohol intake, but it is still too much. I’ve had 1.5 bottles of white wine in the past week, will probably need to reduce that to 1 bottle a week at most.
– For the foreseeable future I will not be calorie counting, or going on a strict diet. If I’m going to achieve my fitness goals my body needs proper fuel- in my opinion subsisting on the bare minimum will be counterproductive because if I have no energy I won’t exercise.
– I’ve never been much of a salad eater, but want to incorporate salads into my meals (because less cooking/processing means more nutrients). Also, most salads take almost no time to make, which is great because I have very little time this week.
keep reading after the jump!myfunnyvalentine on Nov 15th, 2011 in lifestyle and health, Miscellaneous | 30211 commentHealthy+Summer+2011%2F2012%3A+part+two+%28ch-ch-ch-Chaaaanges%292011-11-15+22%3A37%3A12myfunnyvalentinehttp%3A%2F%2Fmyfunnyvalentineblog.com%2F%3Fp%3D3021
Tags: Healthy Summer
During my visit to Sydney last weekend, I got a wakeup call. I hadn’t been back home to see my parents for a couple of months, and the first thing that my Mum said to me was:
“Jenny! You’ve gotten fat- what’s happened?”
This must be the first time in my life that my parents have said anything about my size. They’re not image conscious people. As you can imagine, this comment came as a bit of a shock. The bigger shock came later that night when my Mum cornered me while I was working on a blog post- and said in a low voice,
“So really, why have you put on all this weight- is there something you want to tell me?”
I was mortified when I realised what she was alluding to, that I could barely get out the words “I’m not pregnant!”.
When I got over the shock of what my Mum had said to me, I realised that it was something I needed to hear. I really have gotten out of shape recently, and I’ve been too lazy to face the facts.
I used to love running, swimming, yoga, and being active, but I haven’t been able to really motivate myself to get back into regular exercise for a long time. When I tried going for a run last week (really, it was to test out the sweat resistance of sunscreens for my review) my stamina sucked and I actually felt a little nauseous after the run.
I’ve also been eating badly the last few months. Really badly- think sausage rolls for breakfast, Laksa for lunch at the local thai place, and dinners out. I’ve been having dinners out about 4x a week, and I would often eat until I felt sick, because the servings in the country are HUGE.
This is a photo of me when I was happy, healthy, and probably at the peak of my fitness- around 2007. I realise that I’ll never be in my early 20s again, but I can certain try to get back to where my fitness levels were back then (I was regularly doing the 8km bay run at the time).
I’m not as brave as Kimmi of The Styleless Diaries- who recently put up photos of her body shapes from 2009 to now in this post. I’ll just put the ‘before’ photos.
I’ve been really impressed with bloggers that have been posting their healthy living goals like Jade from Jade Musing, Jaime from Miss Chew and Stef from Read Cook Shop . I think they’re really brave for putting a very personal journey up on their blogs, and I’m continually inspired by how hard they work.
I hope that by blogging about my exercise and healthy eating goals in this series that I’ll feel more motivated to stick to my goals- if I slack off I’d feel like I was letting my blog down!
Now, I know that weight/size/body image is going to be a touchy subject, and I’m not entirely sure whether how much detail I should go into. Should I put results of weigh-ins?
So that’s all for now. Will report back very soon with some sort of a planPosted by myfunnyvalentine on Nov 8th, 2011 in Miscellaneous | 28980 comments. Healthy+Summer+2011%2F2012+%3A+part+1+2011-11-08+08%3A11%3A48myfunnyvalentinehttp%3A%2F%2Fmyfunnyvalentineblog.com%2F%3Fp%3D2898
It’s that time of the year again. The dust has settled from the Spring/Summer Ready To Wear Fashion Week runways, leaving me to greedily pore over all the backstage photos.
Here are my favourite looks-
I loved the smudgey copper gold and black smokey eye that Lisa Butler created for this Emilio Pucci show using MAC cosmetics. It’s equal parts gypsy wanderer, and rich girl on a luxury yacht.
• Smolder Eye Kohl – applied through the upper lashline, waterline and lower lashline, with extra depth at the inner and outer corner of eyes.
• Blitz and Glitz Fluidline – smudged through Smolder Eye Kohl around lashes.
• Venetian Tarnish Metal X Cream Shadow – applied over the upper and lower eyelids with fingers, being sure to not over blend.
• Zoomblack Zoom Lash Mascara – applied through both upper and lower lashes to define.
• Hush Hush Tendertone Lip Balm (available Spring/Summer 2012) – dabbed over eyelids during line-up at first looks.
keep reading after the jump!
myfunnyvalentine on Oct 16th, 2011 in Miscellaneous, Runway | 19500 comments. The+Edit%3A+beauty+looks+from+Spring+Summer+2012+runways2011-10-16+03%3A08%3A26myfunnyvalentinehttp%3A%2F%2Fmyfunnyvalentineblog.com%2F%3Fp%3D1950
Just wanted to let you know that I’ve written a guest post for Karen at Makeup and Beauty Blog. You can check it out here.
Makeup and Beauty blog is one of my absolute favourites, and has been for years. I love her writing style, her wonderful photography, and her exceptionally handsome tabby/partner-in-crime.
Posted by myfunnyvalentine on Oct 3rd, 2011 in DIY Skin Care, Miscellaneous | 21080 comments. Guest+Post+on+Makeup+and+Beauty+Blog-+DIY+Mojito+Salt+Scrub+with+Mango+Butter2011-10-03+04%3A18%3A01myfunnyvalentinehttp%3A%2F%2Fmyfunnyvalentineblog.com%2F%3Fp%3D2108
Optometrist/beauty blogger/crazy cat lady. It's Jenny, not Jennifer. You can also find me on www.straightnochaserblog.com email@example.com
Paula’s Choice Berry & Bright Lip Collection: Review and Swatches
September Beauty Favourites: NARS, Rouge Bunny Rouge, Jojoba Company, and more
MUSQ Skincare Reviewed: Hand Wash and Face & Body Exfoliant
Rouge Bunny Rouge Umber Firefinch Eyeshadow: Swatches, Review, FOTD
Rouge Bunny Rouge Eyeshadows Grey Go-Away Lourie and Blackpepper Jay: Review