One of my favourite things to do is look through Style.com and WWD for inspiration from the fashion week backstage pictures. Here are my favourites from S/S 2014!
The concrete grey feline-shaped eyeliner is simple yet edgy- I love how the inside corner is emphasized. I need to buy some matte toffee and concrete grey gel eyeliner and try this one out- Pat McGrath used a custom mixed liquid liner over the top of a brown/grey pencil.
Keep reading after the jump!myfunnyvalentine on Dec 26th, 2013 in Runway | 94410 comments. The+Edit%3A+Spring%2FSummer+RTW+Runways+20142013-12-26+00%3A51%3A48myfunnyvalentinehttp%3A%2F%2Fmyfunnyvalentineblog.com%2F%3Fp%3D9441
For the Myer Spring Summer 2013 Fashion Launch last week, YSL beauty created a look featuring a sun kissed colour palette. I loved the fun use of colour in this show, and was also really excited to see a YSL Glossy Stain featured (you may recall me going completely nuts over the Glossy Stains earlier in the year).I don’t currently own #21, but I do have the YSL Glossy Stain in #6 which is quite similar when it deepens with the second layer.
This season be transported to the outback of Australia. The rusty, sunburnt tones of the outback sets the mood for this season’s makeup look, paying homage to the beautiful photographs of native Australian birds by Australian Artist Leila Jeffries.
Keep reading after the jump!myfunnyvalentine on Aug 16th, 2013 in Runway, YSL | 81350 comments. Beauty+Notes%3A+YSL+Backstage+at+Myer+Spring+Summer+20132013-08-16+00%3A08%3A46myfunnyvalentinehttp%3A%2F%2Fmyfunnyvalentineblog.com%2F%3Fp%3D8135
You’ve seen the backstage makeup by Shu Uemura– here is the breakdown on the two hairstyles that Aveda created for the David Jones Spring Summer 2013 Fashion Launch.
This modern take on a 60s inspired classic can be as subtle or dramatic as you want it to be.
1. Start by prepping the hair with Aveda Damage Remedy Daily Hair Repair to repair dry, brittle ends and protect it from heat
2. Spray Aveda Pure Abundance Style Prep until hair looks wet. This will build volume and create a strong foundation to style your look. (Tip: if your hair is super soft, work in some Aveda Phomollient Styling Foam to add texture).
3. Dry hair in large sections using a roller brush. The bigger, the better to give the hair soft, smooth bends.
4. For extra shine add some Aveda Light Elements Smoothing fluid.
5. Once you have the desired volume and texture, crimp the interior of the French roll to create good support and stop the look from dropping. For best results, crimp the hair 1cm from the roots using small crimpers.
6. Next use a soft brush and tease the hair all over, making sure the hair at the back of the head has support and is firm. Set with a light mist of Aveda Air Control hairspray.
7. Direct hair back and create a centre-part at the back of the head.
8. Firmly roll each section and secure by making a crease that is low and tight on the hairline.
9. Tease the top of the hair and position it to cover the top of the rolls.
10. Finish the look with a spritz of Aveda Air Control hairspray.
Keep reading after the jump!myfunnyvalentine on Aug 1st, 2013 in Runway | 80490 comments. Aveda+Backstage+At+David+Jones+SS2013%3A+Modern+French+Roll+and+Poolside+Chic2013-08-01+04%3A06%3A29myfunnyvalentinehttp%3A%2F%2Fmyfunnyvalentineblog.com%2F%3Fp%3D8049
International Artistic Director for Shu Uemura Mr.Kakuyasu Uchiide created two makeup looks for the David Jones Spring Summer Fashion Launch this week. The concept was ‘Italian Riviera mees Poolside Glamour’.
Embrace Balmy nights with shu uemura’s incredibly chic colour palette to enhance your beauty. A dark winged eye, embellished with a dash of gold on the lid, highlights the eyesunder lights, complimented with a soft sheer glow on the cheek and a matt nude lip.
1. Using your fingers, gently massage shu uemura Instant Glow Stage Performer all over the face
2. Using shu uemura Brush 18, apply shu uemura Face Architect Illuminating Moisture Fluid Foundation and conceal under the eyes and any imperfections if necessary
3. Using Natural Brush 20h, apply shu uemura Glow On Medium Bronze P780 to the contour of your the cheek
4. Draw a thick line using shu uemura Painting Liner in Gold, then draw a thinner black line using shu uemura Painting Liner in Black and flick it at the end, to define the shape of the eye.
5. Thicken and define brows with shu uemura Hard Formula in Brown
6. Using a shu uemura kolinsky Lip Brush, apply shu uemura Rouge Unlimited Supreme Matte BG930 over the lips
7. Use the shu uemura Eyelash Curler to curl the lashes and then apply shu uemura Ultimate Natural Mascara in Black to your top lashes
8. To complete the look, paint the nails with shu uemura Nail Color in Pink Champagne Gold
Keep reading after the jump!myfunnyvalentine on Aug 1st, 2013 in Runway, Style and Fashion | 80371 commentShu+Uemura+Backstage+at+David+Jones+SS13+Fashion+Launch2013-08-01+00%3A04%3A43myfunnyvalentinehttp%3A%2F%2Fmyfunnyvalentineblog.com%2F%3Fp%3D8037
The look that Rae Morris created for Frankie Magazine sponsored runway 07 (Karen Walker, Kuwaii, Limedrop, Gormon, and more) combined an intense powdery white exaggerated inner corner eye look with a bright fuschia lip.
I thought it would be a fun look to try for a FOTD.
I tried staying true to the original products that Rae Morris used as much as possible, so that you get an idea of how the ‘runway’ colours look under natural day lighting. I find that the colours look VERY different to the runway/backstage images- especially the lip colour, which looks far pinker in real life than it does on the runway photos.
Some of the products that I felt didn’t work well on me I omitted (the L’Oreal Nude Magique BB cream makes me look like I have jaundice).
In retrospect, I think I should have done a much bolder brow to go with the soft, undefined quality of the eye makeup- just like what Rae Morris did on her 07 runway models. Without a bold brow look to frame the eyes with these type of looks, things just seem a little bit out of balance.
– NARS Sheer Glow in Fiji
– MAC Studiosculpt concealor
– L’Oreal Colour Riche Le Kohl in Immaculate Snow drawn on the ‘inner V’ – inner 1/2 top lashline, inner 1/3rd bottom lashline, connected at the inner corner. I blended this with a small pencil brush after applying straight from the pencil.
– L’Oreal Glam Bronze ‘La Terra’ blended in the crease
– MAC Omega eyeshadow to blend edges above crease
– Physician’s Formula shimmer strips eyeliner in black from Brown Eyes Set to line upper lashline
– L’Oreal Color Riche Le Sourcil Eyebrow Pencil in Deep Brown
– L’Oreal Nude Magique BB Blush on apples.
– L’Oreal Glam Bronze La Terra to contour cheekbones
If you want to see Rae Morris in action, here she is demonstrating the makeup application for this look on a model.
Optometrist/beauty blogger/crazy cat lady. It's Jenny, not Jennifer. You can also find me on www.straightnochaserblog.com email@example.com
Paula’s Choice Berry & Bright Lip Collection: Review and Swatches
September Beauty Favourites: NARS, Rouge Bunny Rouge, Jojoba Company, and more
MUSQ Skincare Reviewed: Hand Wash and Face & Body Exfoliant
Rouge Bunny Rouge Umber Firefinch Eyeshadow: Swatches, Review, FOTD
Rouge Bunny Rouge Eyeshadows Grey Go-Away Lourie and Blackpepper Jay: Review