Gatsby fever has well and truly hit our shores, making it the perfect time to dabble with some 1920s flapper style makeup a la Louise Brooks, Clara Bow, and Josephine Baker.
I still haven’t seen Baz Luhrmann’s ‘Gatsby’ yet, but I’m looking forward to watching it for the makeup and costume. As a film, I hear that it is not really a faithful adaptation of Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby (the harsher critics even go as far as to doubt that Baz Luhrmann read the book all the way to the end), and that Baz Luhrmann has missed the point somewhat- celebrating rather than satirizing the excesses of the jazz age.
I don’t mind. I’ll be going to see ‘Gatsby’ to enjoy the film as something completely separate from the book. As long Carey Mulligan doesn’t play Daisy like Mia Farrow did in the 1974 adaptation – I’m happy.
1920s makeup has a very distinct look, and is characterised by smouldering grey brown eye makeup with the depth of the colour concentrated on the inner part of the eye; a thin, archless brow; and lips that look like they are pouting even when relaxed. They say that the unusual eye makeup placement is designed to give a ‘damsel in distress’ look- which explains why I look a little upset in all my photos.
The best 1920s makeup tutorial I’ve seen is the one by Sam from Pixiwoo- really worthwhile watching if you are going to a fancy dress party.
Keep reading after the jump!
myfunnyvalentine on Jun 6th, 2013 in Eye shadow, FOTD, Inglot | 75260 comments. 1920s+flapper+makeup%3A+Gatsby+inspired+FOTD2013-06-06+02%3A47%3A43myfunnyvalentinehttp%3A%2F%2Fmyfunnyvalentineblog.com%2F%3Fp%3D7526
I did a quick day time smoky eye last Sunday before heading off for (yet another) round of apartment hunting. I’ve been loving the combination of a warm matte crease with a cool lid colour lately- I think it’s very autumn appropriate and a nice change from my usual dove grey crease.
- Too Faced Shadow Insurance to prime
- MAC Uninterrupted Pro Longwear eyeshadow blended all over the lid and just past the crease.
- Inglot Matte dark brown matte 329 (top left corner of my Inglot freedom palette pictured below) applied to the mobile lid. I’ve swatched matte 329 in this post.
- Urban Decay Hustle eyeshadow from the Naked Palette (third from the right) blended on top of the Inglot. I also blended Hustle under the bottom lashline.
- Bobbi Brown Gel Eyeliner in Black Ink to line upper lashline and bottom waterline.
- L’Oreal Color Riche Le Khol in Immaculate Snow applied to the inner corners of the eyes and blended with a pencil brush
- Bobbi Brown Shimmer Eyeshadow in Champagne applied on top
- MAC Fleur Power blush on apples of the cheeks
- L’Oreal Glam Bronze in La Terra to contour
Posted by myfunnyvalentine on May 20th, 2013 in Eye shadow, FOTD | 73480 comments. FOTD%3A+Purple+Smoky+Eye+Caramel+Crease+Feat.+Urban+Decay+Naked+Palette+and+MAC+Uninterrupted+2013-05-20+03%3A36%3A36myfunnyvalentinehttp%3A%2F%2Fmyfunnyvalentineblog.com%2F%3Fp%3D7348
I love the way that blues and greens look with brown eyes, and it’s really been too long since I used these (too easy just to reach for a taupe or a brown when you don’t want to think too much!).
There’s something about this particular colour palette (khaki green, inky blue, and gold) that I tend to gravitate towards- I think it’s because these colours bring to mind the romanticism of explorers and exotic spice routes. Now that we’re getting into the Autumn and (god forbid), Winter months, I will definitely be getting my teeth into these colours.
MAC Gold pigment is the best ‘true gold’ (no sparkles, no duochrome, no pink or bronze tones) eye shadow product I have seen to date- it is intensely pigmented, finely milled, and just like molten gold. You really need the tiniest amount on a pencil brush for this highlight, and the small sample pot I got from The Body Needs has lasted me years.
- MAC Humid eyeshadow packed on to the upper mobile lid
- MAC Cork eyeshadow blended in the crease
- MAC Typographic eyeshadow (matte dark grey, not pictured here) to darken outer V
- MAC Prussian eyeshadow blended under bottom lashline
- MAC Gold pigment applied (dry) to the inner corner of the eyes with a pencil brush. Mine is a sample size from The Body Needs.
- Bobbi Brown Gel Liner in Ink to line upper lashline and bottom waterline.
Keep reading after the jump!myfunnyvalentine on May 12th, 2013 in Eye shadow, FOTD, MAC | 74240 comments. FOTD%3A+Khaki+Green+and+Blue+Smoky+Eyes+with+A+Pop+of+MAC+Gold+Pigment2013-05-12+10%3A43%3A36myfunnyvalentinehttp%3A%2F%2Fmyfunnyvalentineblog.com%2F%3Fp%3D7424
Apologies for some awkward moments (mostly where I can’t see what I’m doing and accidentally apply makeup like a 6yr old), and being out of focus for half the video- still trying to get used to my camera set up. It’s the second time I’ve made a video with my Canon 60D, and although I love this camera to bits staying in sharp focus is still challenge.
So much fun to shoot though! Hope you enjoy the video, and any feedback will be very much appreciated.
- Illamasqua Pure Pigment in Ore (reviewed and swatched here:http://myfunnyvalentineblog.com/2011/… )
- Maybelline Color Tattoo Bad To The Bronze
- Two Faced Shadow Insurance
- MAC Omega, Mystery, Typographic eyeshadows (all matte)
- Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips eyeliner (reviewed here:http://myfunnyvalentineblog.com/2012/… )
- MAC Bronzing powder ‘Bronze’ (reviewed and swatched here:http://myfunnyvalentineblog.com/2013/…)
- Rouge Bunny Rouge Gracilis Blush
- Burberry List Mist ‘Copper’ (reviewed and swatchedhttp://myfunnyvalentineblog.com/2012/… )
Posted by myfunnyvalentine on Mar 19th, 2013 in Eye shadow, FOTD, YouTube | 67740 comments. Youtube+Makeup+Tutorial%3A+Bronze+Smoky+Eye+Feat.+Illamasqua+Ore+and+Maybelline+Color+Tattoo2013-03-19+02%3A18%3A05myfunnyvalentinehttp%3A%2F%2Fmyfunnyvalentineblog.com%2F%3Fp%3D6774
Look what I found hiding in my drafts- a FOTD that I had planned to publish late last year, but completely forgot about! Hi there red hair.
Oh and happy Valentine’s Day for all those who celebrate it
Keep reading after the jump!Posted by myfunnyvalentine on Feb 14th, 2013 in FOTD | 59170 comments. Sea+foam+green+duochrome+daytime+smoky+eye+featuring+Shu+Uemura+ME+olive+4712013-02-14+05%3A09%3A04myfunnyvalentinehttp%3A%2F%2Fmyfunnyvalentineblog.com%2F%3Fp%3D5917